Have you ever experienced a slightly annoying website? In that case, you should consider blocking that website.
You may want to block a website for different reasons, which is why you may consider doing so. Well, no matter the reason or browser you’re using, you can easily block the website.
At Creato, Our web design Sydney team have therefore prepared a list of ways to block the website on any browser easily!
1. Blocking Websites Directly in Browser Settings
You can block the websites directly on Safari and Chrome.
The steps you need to follow to block the website on Safari are as follows:
- Open the Safari browser and visit Screen Time under the settings option. If the Screen time isn’t enabled, Turn it on.
- Click on the Content & Privacy Restrictions option.
- Now, click on Content Restrictions > Web Content. Under the Never Allow option, enter the website URL.
- Click on Done and Save the settings.
You may follow the steps given below to block the website on Chrome:
- Open the Chrome browser on your website.
- Visit the Users & Browsers option under Settings.
- Look for the URL blocking option and click on it.
- In the Blocked URL tab, enter the website address you want to block.
- Save the new changes.
2. Editing the Hosts File to Block Websites
You may edit the host files to block a website. Host files refer to local text files within the operating system that have domain names and IP addresses.
Editing host files to block websites on Windows:
If you plan to edit the host files on Windows, you need an administrator account. You may follow the steps given below:
- Open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc to find your host.
- Once the host is available, open any text editor software.
- On the bottom of the file, under the last # option, you can add the new lines along with your IP address and the website you want to block.
- Save it, but make sure it is not saved as a .txt file.
- You can open Chrome and check if the website is opening.
- If you want to block a new website, repeat the above process.
Editing host files to block website on Mac:
The steps to edit a host file and block the website on MacOS are slightly different from those on Windows. The steps to edit the host files on MacOS are as follows:
- Visit Terminal under Utilities.
- You must enter the nano/etc/hosts in the Terminal command. The host files will appear in a nano box.
- You need to enter the administrator password for your host files.
- At the bottom, you need to type the IP address, and after a space, enter the website URL you want to block.
- Save the file by clicking on ⌘ key+O.
- Exit the host files by clicking on ⌘ key+X.
- Clear the cache and enter the results once you’re done with it.
3. Utilising Extensions for Website Blocking
Blocking a website using an extension is often one of the easiest methods to block the website. This is the most feasible solution for users of Linux, Windows, and MacOS.
The steps to block the websites using extensions are as follows:
- Step 1: Open the website you want to block on your device.
- Step 2: Click on the Blocksite icon in the top right corner of the website.
- Step 3: Open the Block this site button to restrict any access to the website.
- Step 4: After the site is blocked, you will receive a recommendation for the same.
Blocksite is hailed as one of the best extensions available for Safari and Chrome and with downloads. In the initial stages, you may start with the free installation and download the website from there. Search for the extension on your browser and click the Add to Browser option.
You may also directly block the website from the Blocksite extension. In this case, you will need to add a few URLs in the available field, and you will get the appropriate results. However, if you still want to use the website in Incognito mode, you may set Enable it in Incognito mode.
4. Blocking Websites through Router Configuration
Thanks to technological advancement, you can block the website directly from the router configuration. The steps for blocking the website through router configuration usually vary depending on the model of router you’re using.
You may follow the steps below to block the website through router configuration:
- Step 1: You should visit the router configuration page on any browser.
- Step 2: Every router has a default username and password, which you must log in to your device.
- Step 3: Click on the URL Filtering Option, usually available on the Security or Firewall menu.
- Step 4: Enter the URL address you want to block, which will be blocked on all connected devices.
- Step 5: Confirm your settings by clicking on the “Apply” or “Save” button.
You may confirm by visiting the website and checking if it is open.
You must ensure that you’re following the right measures to block a website. This helps to ensure that the other websites aren’t blocked as well. The steps to block the websites usually vary depending on the different browsers. If you’re following proper measures, websites will be blocked accordingly.
If you are still not able to block the website on the Browser, You can contact experts at Creato.